Thursday, April 14, 2011

the best you've ever had

Cookies, that is.


This is a recipe for egg-free, dairy-free chocolate chip cookies.  But they're not TASTE-free!  (Sorry, Eric made me write that.)  They are actually insanely good, and when I make them, they are strictly portioned out (by me) otherwise they'd be gone in less than a day.  I'd challenge all y'all to follow the allergy-friendly recipe and tell me they don't taste amazing!  Or just make them the regular way, I won't get mad.


This recipe was loosely borrowed from a highly-rated standard chocolate chip cookie recipe I found online.  Even though it has been twice-converted, it is still the #1 cookie I make.  When I make these, commercial music cues, kids and hubby cheer wildly, and I feel like SUCH A GOOD MOM.  I am barely exaggerating.  The standard recipe is below, with the additional allergy-friendly dietary conversions in parentheses.  I want some in my mouth right now.


Word of warning: it is ridiculously chip-heavy.  Not that that's a bad thing.  :)



Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening, melted 
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs (1 tbsp. ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp. water = 1 egg.  Do this twice to equal 2 eggs.)
2 cups milk chocolate chips (I use vegan chocolate chips.  And you can totally use less than the full bag.  Maybe set aside 1/2 cup and make these!)


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  (I have NEVER had luck just using greased cookie sheets!)  Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.  (Yeah, I just mix it with a spoon.  No sifting.  Too lazy.)  In a separate mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the melted shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla and frankenstein eggs until light and creamy.  Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.  Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.  The mixture may appear slightly crumbly, but that's okay!  Using a spoon, drop cookie dough in 1-1/2-inch doughblobs onto the lined cookie sheets, 12 doughblobs to a sheet.  Bake for 11-12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.


Sidenote: I usually just bake 2 sheets at a time as I heard a rumor one time that the oven air needs to "circulate" around the cookies to cook them evenly.  Who knows if that is true but I'm not willing to risk ruining 4 dozen cookies to find out otherwise.  Anyway.  Pull them out even if they look slightly uncooked as they will "cook" a few minutes more on the hot cookie sheet.  

Recipe will yield 4-5 dozen tiny poppable little cookies that you won't want to stop eating. 


Make 'em already!  Tell me what you think!
  
(Recipe sorta borrowed from allrecipes.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment