Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cook Once, Eat Twice

As I have discussed in a previous post, preparing double-quantities of food has enabled me to cook half as often by eating each meal twice per week.  I know there are people out there that aren’t so hot on eating leftovers.  Yes, there are certain foods that aren’t the greatest when they are re-heated (grilled fish, for example), but there are many others that I think taste better the second day, like chili, beef stew, spaghetti with meat sauce, or Mexican lasagna.  Then there are other dishes that I think taste the exact same the next day: baked chicken, fajitas, soups, and practically everything else I make.  And who doesn’t like cold pizza?
But don’t worry.  I will not get all iron-fist on you.  This process just works extremely well for me and my family.  Use this blog religiously as your Dinner Guide for Life (or ELSE), use it to add some new ideas to your existing routine, or just read it at work because it’s better than staring at your cube walls.  This blog AIN’T gonna be a one-trick pony.

(Warning: I'm about to get all nerdy on you.)

One feature I will post regularly is a weekly meal plan.  When creating my meal list each week I try to make sure it has variety of main ingredients and type of food.  This means preparing pasta only once, chicken only once, etc.  Crockpot recipes or one-dish meals are always a bonus!  I plan to post a new meal list on Thursday or Friday of each week in the event you want to make any of the meals the following week.  That way you'll have a few days to get to the grocery store and shop accordingly.  (Because if you're anything like me, the thought of staring in your pantry at 5:30 each night trying to figure out what to make for dinner is just about as painful as hanging out in the grocery aisles longer than you need to.)
Here is this week’s meal plan and corresponding recipes.  These meals will feed a family of four for two dinners.  3 Meals X 2 Nights Each = 1 Week's Worth of Dinners.  Y'know, assuming you go out once a week, or maybe have enough leftovers to have a fridge-free-for-all on the 7th night.  Righteous. 

Spicy Black Beans over Rice
Sausage and Pepper Pasta
(Mostly) Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment