Tuesday, May 3, 2011

a weekend in the country II

We headed to the country this past weekend for our second trip in a month, this time to attend Eric’s grandmother’s estate auction.  Many family members came in from various parts of the country to attend, and Eric’s brother also made it in from Arkansas(!!!!!).  It was an event we weren’t going to miss, come hell or high water.  (As it turned out we definitely had water, thanks to major flooding in the southern part of the state.) 

The house was auctioned off to a sweet young couple and the land broken into separate lots and sold.  A lifetime of housewares, furniture, tools, and treasures which will hopefully bring happiness to someone else’s life.  It was a bittersweet day for most of the family, myself included. 

The farm was in his family for 75 years, and on this farm Eric spent his upbringing fishing, camping, hunting, and bonding with his siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents.  I remember asking Eric once if he had ever been a boy scout as a child.  He looked at me and said, “Are you kidding?  I lived my whole life as a boy scout.  I didn’t have to join them.”  I think that statement sums things up nicely.
I’m a little sad that we won’t see the house and farm again, and I’m sad that our kids will never fish in their great-grandfather’s pond.  But I suppose that’s why work so hard to instill memories while we have the chance, and create new ones when we don’t.
Here is our weekend, in photos:
watching her dad and uncle play wiffleball

this picture just makes me laugh a little.


he sat here for the longest time examining a dead beetle.  "It's so squashy."

any guess as to what this is?  hint: it's not a dressmaker's mannequin.

this one's for you, Bud Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment