Monday, August 15, 2011

if i had an orchard

We spent Saturday morning at an orchard nearby, to pick the last of the season's fresh peaches.  We try to go at least a few times per year to get the best of what they have to offer: peaches, blackberries, apples, pumpkins.  Unfortunately we missed our chance for blackberries this time around as they sold out just last weekend.  But the trip did have its (unplanned) advantages: we learned that the peaches (the "best crop they've had in years," according to one of their workers) were half-price! 

Going to Eckerts is one of my favorite things we do with our kids.  And 23 pounds of peaches later, we were happy. 

So begins the task of eating the heck out of them before they go bad.  Not to worry: in the coming days I'll do my best to make peach sauce for ice cream, individual-sized peach pie pockets, and stock some away in the freezer for a rainy day.


And we're off!






...off to find more!







I think the stains on her shirt say it all.  We had a great time!

 



And we got even more good news: honeycrisp apples will be ready for picking at the end of the month.  Who's coming with me???

1 comment:

  1. I tried to get blackberries this weekend, too! We left with a black diamond watermelon - OMG. I ate so much my tongue is sore!

    ReplyDelete