Thursday, August 18, 2011

meal list thursday: lunchtime edition

We'll deviate a bit this week to fulfill a special request.

My gorgeously smart and stylish sister approached me recently about putting together a list of meal ideas.  Not for dinners, mind you, but for her workaday lunch.  Currently she lives alone and doesn't do much cooking for herself.  My gargantuan family occupies her condo every Easter and Thanksgiving and for the other 363 days a year, I'm pretty sure her fridge holds nothing but Crystal Light and Boca Burgers.  (I know this because I spy in her kitchen.  And I still haven't figured out WHAT Boca Burgers are.) 

So I thought I'd put together a list of a dozen meals that she can cook, divide into pre-portioned servings, store in the freezer (or quickly prepare in the morning), and grab as she walks out the door for work.  Sounds easy, right?  Then she requests the unrequestable: "Oh, and do calorie counts too.  I want to know what I'm eating."  Uhhh, no deal Missy.  We all know I had to repeat more than one math course in my life and my only working calculator is on my Verizon Razzle.  I'm just the ideas girl, Maria.  You're the brains and you know it.  I'll keep it relatively lean, I just don't have the fancy numbers to back it up.

(I'm secretly doing this because she is an awesome massage therapist and I'm hoping to score a free massage or three.  This is also for my other sister Krissy who lives with a gal pal and doesn't cook very much either.  And because she said she'd design a cookbook for me.)  




(Tangent: Remember that part in Twins when Danny Devito comes to the sobering realization that his brother (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) was created to be the most perfect physical specimen while he, Vincent, was created from the "leftover crap" in the petri dish?  Mmm-hmm.)  

If you're going to give this method a try, you will need to invest in a dozen or so quart-size Pyrex freezer/dishwasher/microwave safe food storage containers.  This way you can store your single-portion meals in one container, keep it in the fridge or freezer, and pop it in the microwave when you're ready to eat.  (You gotta keep it easy for these cute unmarried girls and their fun active lifestyles and gobs of free time.  If they get bored with domestic chores it's no big deal because they don't ACTUALLY have to do them.)

So here is the lunchpail list.  Why not make 2 or 3 of these meals on a weekend, then throw it all in the freezer for a grab-and-go lunch for the next couple of weeks?  DO IT!!!!

The following meals can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer:

Simply Scrumptious Hamburger Soup.  This stuff is the bees knees.

Crockpot Santa Fe Chicken.  Serve with tortilla chips, warm tortillas, or over rice.  YUM.

Chicken Noodle Soup.  A classic.

Turkey Sliders. Make and freeze the burgers ahead of time and prepare with fresh bread and cheese in the morning before you leave for work.

Any of your favorite pasta dish, like Mediterranean Penne Pasta, Pasta Con Broccoli, or Spaghetti and Mini Turkey Meatballs. (Sidenote: Pasta freezes and reheats well, if stored correctly. Adding extra sauce or olive oil to the pasta helps it maintain the right consistency and appearance after you thaw and heat. And if the pasta looks a bit dry after thawing, just add a bit of water or olive oil as it heats, and stir gently.)

Spinach Lasagna


The ideas below can be pre-made and kept in the fridge all week:

Pizza or Calzones.  Better than a Hot Pocket.

Chicken Salad with Sliced Bell Peppers and Tomatoes on Sandwich Thins

Awesome Unnamed Vegetarian Bagel Sandwich.  An idea that I stole from a girl I know circa 1997.  This is another sandwich you can make fresh each morning before work.  It's so darn easy you'd be stupid not to try it.

(All recipes can be found here.)

Other tips: 
  • Grill and slice a few skinless chicken breasts and peeled shrimp, then freeze in single-servings in freezer-safe bags or containers.  Add to pastas or salads as an additional lean protein. 
  • Add lots of grilled or roasted vegetables to whole-grain pasta to fill you up and help you get your daily dose of veggies, not to mention, a fiber-boost from the pasta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment