Tuesday, August 30, 2011

la cocina compartida - summer workshop 2011

"The Shared Kitchen" about sums it up for me.  I can't get nothin' done in my kitchen without tripping over some babies/toys/magnets/papers/cereal.  Such is life.

But this post isn't about me, or even about my kitchen.  This post is about my dear old friend Katie and the super-fun cooking workshop she hosted a couple of weeks ago.  Which I of course jumped at the chance to attend.

Katie: Would you like to come to my cooking class?
Me: Do Mexicans do the Macarena? I'm SO there!

Katie = Awesome.  I've known her since gradeschool, and I miss her tons.  While I'm here living the dream in the same town she and I grew up in, Katie is doing all kinds of amazing things in a city in the middle of Mexico.  She is back in town for a few weeks and decided to organize a cooking class to teach a few friends how to cook authentic Mexican food.  She so graciously invited me to attend, for which I am thankful.

We prepared then gorged ourselves on all kinds of deliciousness, all while she described little tidbits about the local culture in Guanajuato and her experiences while living there.  I'm just grateful that she thought to invite me in the first place.  But next time I expect a real invite to Mexico. 

Here's a sample of the food we made.  Please excuse the pictures.  My camera is a piece of caca:

beautiful katie



ceviche, drunken salsa, and cucumbers



newlyweds


roasted chile and tomatillo salsa.  warm and smoky.
i just wanted to pour the bowl in my glass and drink it.


sopes.  i don't know either, but they were fun to make!


beet root and jicama salad.  i'd never before had either one. 
soooo good.


the main meal:
refried black beans, rajas con cremas, and beef with peanut sauce.


liquid crack, or, coffee with cinnamon and sugar.  served with flan. 
so good you'd smack your mama.


and last but not least, good conversations.

My dear Katie:  thanks for the fun night out, amazing food, and cookbook!  See you again next year? 


No comments:

Post a Comment