Monday, September 26, 2011

is eating fast-food cheaper?

This weekend I was reminded of an Oprah episode I watched last year which featured a family who said that their lifestyle of eating fast food was actually more cost-effective than going to the grocery store, buying food, and preparing it at home.  Fast-forward to this article that I read over the weekend and I was reminded yet again.

Is it true that you can spend less money on meals from the drive-thru than a meal prepared at home with fresh ingredients purchased at any average grocery store?  Uh, no.

Case in point: a few nights ago I, Parent Of The Year, made the judgment call to pick up Burger King for dinner.  It was Friday night, cooking was the last thing I felt like doing, we had $13 cash AND a coupon for a free Kids Meal.  We were also pressed for time.  We'd be stupid not to go, right? 

So I ordered our food, kept the cost within $13, and brought it home.  Passing it out to the kids I realized that I didn't get 2 of the items I'd ordered (but paid for).  I drove back to get the rest of the food.   In total, both trips took me about 20 minutes. 



We spent $13 on two Whoppers, 1 large fry, 1 4-pc chicken tenders, and 1 Kids Meal (which was free because of the coupon).  Lila barely touched her food and Finn took only a few bites of his little burger.  I think I speak for the little darlings when I say we would've been better off if Mama had instead prepared a meal like this:

1 lb. top sirloin steak - $8 (avg.) 
2 large baking potatoes - $1.50
1 lb. green beans - $2

We could have had a delicious, reasonably healthy meal prepared in the same amount of time and money.  But we didn't, and it was all in the name of convenience.  Yes, there are definitely things wrong with our food industry, but just as importantly, with our attitudes about what food is and what it should do for us.

The BK slogan is "Have it your way."  I totally should have.  :)

1 comment:

  1. this was very well written! so many times i would rather go out and eat...but for the time,money, and aggravation...IT JUST ISNT WORTH IT! its good to know im not the only one.

    ReplyDelete